Navigate to Avalanche Wallet
Select Create New Wallet
Select Generate Key Phrase
Copy your Key Phrase (mnemonic seed phrase) and store it somewhere safe
Ensure that you store your Key Phrase somewhere safe where it cannot be lost or compromised. Your Key Phrase is the master key to your wallet; loss or compromise of your Key Phrase may result in permanent loss of your AVAX.
- Confirm you have secured your Key Phrase and select Access Wallet
- Verify your Key Phrase (Mnemonic phrase) by filling in the blanks with the correct words, and select Verify
- Select Access Wallet
- Navigate to the Avalanche Wallet dashboard
You can toggle between 3 options for your wallet address in the upper right corner of the Avalanche Wallet: X, P, or C, which indicate your unique wallet addresses for the Avalanche X-Chain, C-Chain, and P-Chain.
- X-Chain is the Exchange Chain. Its sole purpose is for sending and receiving funds.
- C-Chain is the Contract Chain. This is the chain used for smart contracts and defi, and it has an Ethereum-style address. If your AVAX is stored with Coinbase, your balance will be on the C-Chain.
- P-Chain is the Platform Chain. This is the chain for staking AVAX or running a validator. The P-Chain can receive transfers from the X and C chains using the Cross Chain transaction in the Avalanche Wallet.
Please proceed with caution during these steps to ensure you are depositing AVAX to the correct wallet. Sending your AVAX wrong chain’s wallet may result in loss of funds.
To verify which platform wallet address to use, navigate to the exchange or wallet where your AVAX is stored and view your Avalanche wallet address, often by selecting a “Receive Avalanche” option
Determine the Avalanche chain for this wallet based on the address’ prefix:
- X-Chain wallet addresses begin with “X-avax…”
- C-Chain wallet addresses begin with “0x…”.
- P-Chain wallet addresses begin with “P-avax…”.
Return to the Avalanche Wallet dashboard
Under Derived Wallet Address toggle the wallet options so that the same chain is selected (X, C, or P) as your wallet address on the exchange or wallet where your AVAX is stored (the address that appears on the Avalanche Wallet dashboard should have the same prefix as your wallet address on the exchange)
Copy that Derived Platform Wallet Address
- Navigate to the exchange or wallet where your AVAX is stored and send your AVAX to the appropriate Avalanche Wallet chain address you just copied
- Your AVAX balance should now appear on your Avalanche Wallet dashboard
If you receive an error message from the exchange or wallet where your AVAX is stored stating that this is not a valid AVAX address, go back to the Avalanche dashboard and instead copy the address of the Avalanche chain that matches the chain on which your AVAX is currently stored.
For example, if your AVAX is stored with Coinbase on the Avalanche C-Chain, and you receive an error message when trying to send your AVAX out to Avalanche Wallet, go back to Avalanche Wallet and ensure you have copied the C-Chain address to send your AVAX from Coinbase to.
Updated 2 months ago